Saturday, January 30, 2010

Let the Summer Sewing Begin!

I hate winter. I'm sure many of you know that. To get me through the late January / February slump I sew for the Summer. It makes me happy! So, I've started on Calder's Summer wardrobe. Here's what I plan to make:

2 pairs of shorts
1 pair of pants that could be rolled up to shorts
1 adorable plaid shirt
1 hooded bath robe

We will be spending a chunk of our Summer in Oregon. My mother in law has a pool and I think a cute terry bath robe would be great for Calder. I considered making a hoodie, but he has about 4 already that should work then too.

These are the shorts I whipped up during nap time yesterday. I realize gray corduroy is not the most Summer fabric but I love it and I think it will be great for the early season.






Pattern: Simplicity 2907
Size 2
Alterations: I added contrast stitching down the outer seams, moved the side pocket to the back and added buttons instead of velcro.

3 comments:

Brandon, Whitney & Rachel said...

These are so cute! And I love how you can just whip something like this up during a nap - go Cami! And I was surprised at your comment about resolutions since you aced all of your 2009 ones. I don't blog about it for fear that I won't do them and definitely don't want to follow up at the end of the year, but you did so great! Impressed, as always!

Karen said...

How in the world do you get this done during nap time? Did you teach yourself to sew? I am babysitting swapping with a mom 4 hours a week, so I'm thinking I need to get down to business and start sewing. Maybe I can find someone to teach me a thing or two. I have never used a real pattern. Are they pricey? Worth the buying fabric and making or would a clearance find be cheaper (but not nearly as fulfilling!)?

Cami said...

Calder is napping 2-3 hours these days and I had the pattern all cut out prior to nap time. The sewing doesn't take too long at all.

I did teach myself to sew. My mom and grandmas sewed when I was younger but I never really did. I didn't start sewing until we moved to Chicago and Jason was really busy with school. I made a few quite a few ugly things at first. I also started with baby stuff like bibs and burp cloths because they are easy and you don't have to deal with fit as much. I'm just barely to the point where I feel I could make something for me and not have it look homemade.

Little girl dresses and skirts are pretty easy and would be a good place to start. Patterns can be cheap if you wait for JoAnn's to have a $.99 sale. Otherwise they are about $12 - $15. Watch their ads and when they are on sale buy 3-4 different things to try.

I could buy sale and thrift clothes for Calder cheaper than I can make them. I sew them because I like doing it and I like that he doesn't have the same clothes every other kid does. You know?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...