Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Jacket

One of my New Year resolutions was to sew more for myself. I'm pretty good at sewing for Calder and stuff around the house, but not so much for me. So, I chose this jacket as a challenging but fun project. I really like the way it turned out.

My husband doesn't.

In fact, he hates it.

He says it's the pocket design. Oh and the sleeves are too big. So, I was wondering what you thought. I'm not going to be offended if you don't like it. I would prefer to hear the truth. I used a pattern, so it's not my design or anything. So, here's what I want to know:

Does it look 'home sewn'?
Would you buy it?
What store(s) could you see it in?
Do you think it would look better with a belt?
Does it seem frumpy or MOMish?




Like I said, I like it. But I'm worried that because I put the time in to making it that I see it differently than everyone else. I'm also thinking really hard about the belt. I think it would help give it a little more shape. Please share your thoughts.

8 comments:

Danielle said...

I love the color. I love the buttons and the little loops. And I don't see the problem with the pockets. I like them too.

The sleeves are a little long though. Would it be too much work to hem them? And I think you're right about it looking a little boxy. I think the belt would make it look better.

Jess Hammond said...

I really like it. I could go either way with the belt thing. Some gals dig it. I personally wouldn't need it. I love it, I would buy it.

Brandon, Whitney & Rachel said...

First off, your hair looks SO cute! Wow!

The jacket is great - the loops and pockets are very cute. I thought the front view seemed a little boxy, but I think a belt that is optional might make it a nice shape. I loved the side view and I like my sleeves nice and long, so I didn't think they were too long. I don't know what store I'd see it in - maybe Target? I like their clothes - hope that doesn't sit wrong with you.

Melissa said...

I like the jacket. The color and detail are great and like Whitney, I like my sleeves good and long. In the picture of the front the sleeves do look a little big from the elbow down, maybe if they tapered a little from the elbow they wouldn't look as big? I don't think it looks boxy but it's not fitted so if you're going for a fitted look I think a belt would do that. Also, I love your scrap quilt!! Very fun. I can't wait to see what you make next.

The Hardy Things in Life said...

I LOVE it and the color!! Oh my heck, it looks so good on you!! A belt would be fun!! I love the buttons!! You go girl!! You are so talented!! Super fun and cute!!

James & Jessi McCalvy said...

I'm impressed - you did a good job with the jacket and all the accent details, but I have to say that I'm with Jason about the pockets.

But that shouldn't stop you from wearing it, you look cute!

Karen said...

So the buttons are perfectly positioned to look like giant nipples. Sorry, just being honest. I think it would look cute with the pockets down a ways. Also making it come more into your sides would help so that it didn't look as boxy. I am SO impressed by your sewing skills! Now I'm inspired. Oh, and I agree that it looks Targetesh. I wouldn't buy it, but I'm not fashionable in the least bit and it looks to fashiony for me. I just made up a bunch of words in this comment :)

Barbara said...

I love the buttons but I would take them off the pockets, if you took the sleeves in and the sides, alot--it would look young like you!

The piping is really cute. It doesn't look homemade except that it is too big for you. Make it tiny like you are!

great color

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...