Monday, January 10, 2011

Nothing New Week 1

Because you all want to know what I look like deep in thought. Photo courtesy of Calder.  Maybe next week I'll have a picture that pertains to the challenge. Keep your fingers crossed.

We survived the first week of the Nothing New challenge. I'll be honest, it wasn't that hard, I mean we can all go a week without buying anything new. Heck, we could all probably go a week without buying anything at all. 

I did have to make a trip to Target this week for shampoo, groceries and laundry detergent. I have known I would need shampoo and laundry detergent for a while but I waited thinking I would enjoy buying something come January. Not true. It just meant I had to work that much harder at avoiding the urge to buy something else. It's easier to avoid the store than that really cute serving bowl.

I have a few friends doing the challenge with me! Yay! LuAnn is one of these friends and she suggested a weekly theme or focus. I love this idea! This week it was get rid of 10 things. Here's my list of things I got rid of: 
  • Our old TIVO. It works great, we just don't need two. 
  • Random, unused hangers
  • A stack of plastic inbox things.
  • A blue hooded sweater that was too short
  • A tan sweater that again, was too short
  • Random toys that Calder doesn't like anymore

This week I learned that I need to go through my clothes. I think that will be my focus this week. I am going to try everything on that I own and make three piles: keep, give, unsure. For those things I'm unsure about I'm going to choose one item a day and make an outfit work for it. At the end of the day I will decide whether to keep it or give it away. If I don't like it or I can't make an outfit work for it, it's gone. I am trying to transition to fewer, nicer clothes as opposed to lots of cheaper clothes. 

Bring on week 2!


1 comment:

Whitney said...

You're so awesome! I'm assuming you did, but did you already get rid of your old TIVO ... not that it would even transfer to someone else's home, but just curious. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...