I'm going to start showing you my house, one part at a time. My husband and I, along with our 2 year old son live in a 715 square feet, one bedroom apartment. It's small but very well designed and if I do say so myself, quite organized. I'm going to start this series with the place where I create. I think it is one of the most interesting places in our house. Lets get started.
1. This tall but thin cabinet came from Ikea years ago. We actually have two and before we moved here used them for clothing storage (my husband and I don't have dressers). Now this one is purely craft / sewing storage. It holds thread, buttons, sewing gadgets and anything else I can get in there. Maybe you'll get a special tour of that cabinet later.
2. Small storage. This awesome 10 drawer unit came from The Container Store. And I love it. One drawer holds my 5 pairs of scissors, another holds pens, pencils and my seam ripper. Yet another holds labels for clothes I make and another holds glue and other adhesives. I love that it is clean and modern but very functional.
3. These boxes also came from the container store and hold my small scraps of fabric. It is nice to have them handy when I need them.
4. You may have a hard time finding #4. It is between 3 and 5. It's my sewing machine. Our desk has a shelf under the foot area to hold my sewing machine and #3 and #5.
5. Our cruddy printer. It prints occasionally when it feels like it. If anyone is totally in love with their printer, please let me know. I haven't owned one I really liked. Or heck, I haven't owned a reliable one.
6. Ah, my vintage Samsonite suitcase. I love this. It was a thrift store find. I have been searching for one for years and I love the color. When I bought it the "inspected by" paper was still in it. It holds my current project. Whatever project that may be. My sewing area is in my living room and this makes it so I can throw my project in and close the lid at a moment's notice. I am on the hunt for another one.
7. Sewing books. Old and new. I love them. A lot. And it's nice to have them on the shelf next to my work station.
8. My trusty Ikea chair. I love it too. It is comfortable, height adjustable and very chic looking.
9. The vintage desk. This desk belonged to Jason's grandpa. It is a library desk and from what I'm told Jason's grandpa believed it was very old. I recently refinished it. I'll show you more on that later.
10. And last but not least, clear under the printer are two awesome 12 in by 12 in boxes to hold scrapbooking paper. I used to be really into scrapbooking. Now I use the paper for various other projects and the occasional card making. They fit perfectly there and it's nice to have them on hand.
So, there it is. My place to create. What about you? Do you have a specific place to create or do you use your kitchen table, basement or other area?